The Bell of desire was made in Padua in 1534. At the same time, in Bled Castle, a young and inconsolable widow cried for her husband, who was killed by bandits and his body was thrown in Lake Bled. Therefore, the young widow collected all her silver and gold and cast them in a new bell, with which she wanted to honor her dead husband by placing the bell beside the St. Mary’s Church on Bled island. Nevertheless, the new bell never arrived to the island, as it sank along with a boat and all the men, while severe storms were creating big waves on the lake’s surface. Local residents in Bled say that they can still hear the bell, with voices rising from the depths of the lake.
After this accident, the desperate young widow sold all her possessions and left to the monastery in Rome. After her death, the Pope instructed to build a new bell, which he dedicated to the young widow from Bled. The Pope sent the Bell to the Bled island, where it still stands today, near the St. Mary’s Church. Those who ring the Bell and announce their wish to the beloved Lake Bled widow, they have the opportunity to be heard and therefore their wishes will be fulfilled.